Personal Safety Activity Badge
To gain this badge, Cub Scouts must complete the following:
- Explain the dangers of playing on or near two of the following: railways, busy roads, building sites, cliffs, canal banks, sand or gravel pits, farmyards, river banks, quarries, moorlands and lakes.
- Take part in a fire drill. Know what precautions to take to protect your home, Scout meeting place, Pack camp and Pack holiday against the risk of fire. Explain the importance of a working smoke detector. Know what you would do in the event of a fire in your home.
- Show you can use at least one of the following codes: Green Cross Code, Water Safety Code, Bathing Code, Firework Code etc. Make up a safety code of your own choice, eg car passenger, train passenger, and the playground.
- Know how to use a public telephone and how to make an emergency phone call, including using a mobile telephone.
- Explain what you must do if a stranger starts to talk to you, and what you must tell your parents or carers if you are going out without them.
- Know how and why you might contact helplines such as Childline, for example.
- Explain the best way to stay safe while online. Write some common sense rules to observe while you are on the internet.